9.04.2010

Whoop-ee-ti-yi-o get along little doggies

'Frida Be A Chola'
Organic dog food is free of artificial colors and flavor enhancers, chemical additives and toxic pesticides.  It has quality protein and grain sources of exceptional nutritional value. This supports your dog’s immune system to help build resistance to skin infections.  Organic food doesn’t contain bulk-fillers, so your dog consumes only what it needs to maintain healthy energy levels and life functions

Although my lil' homegirl doesn't seem to have any problems or infections, I'd rather get a head start to prevent than to see her suffer and be uncomfortable and then have to try to treat it and wait for it to heal...yadda...yadda...yoda.

As with anything of good/great quality. It's not cheap.  I mean, I could walk into Wal-Mart, Target or Grocery Outlet and get a 5lb bag for $5.00 (est), but at what cost is it really going to be in the long run?  By buying a quality product, my lil' homegirl will have reduced health problems (currently and thankfully she has none right now) and her life will be healthy, happy and it will be worth that extra money.

The first time I took my lil' homegirl, I seen a magazine that I swear I wanted to walk out with.  But that wouldn't be cool of me.  So I came home googled it and ordered a free issue, they have so many good articles and cute pictures.  It's called: The Bark and I LOVE IT. 
They have recipe's too: http://www.thebark.com/search/node/%22Wellness%3A%20Recipes%22

I don't like to give her 'human food' but now that i'm thinking about it more, i think it's okay if it's certain healthy food and in moderation.  For instance, she loves Quinoa.  Yes Quinoa.  The grain of the Inca's.  I mix a little bit with her dry kibble and i happened to be boiling a chicken (pieces to make a basic broth to freeze and store for use later on) and I added 1/4 cup of the broth and some Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Weird right? Well she likes it and I swear I seen in some magazine that a little EVOO will help keep their coats shiny.  I sometimes bake my Turkey Bacon and I make a piece for her and bake it just a little longer like jerky and give it to her.  No fillers, no nitrates, no extra junk for her.  I mean look at her.  She's too cute to be eating fillers, roadkill and pesticides!


I googled 'Best Organic Dog Food' and via ezinearticles.com (as of 9/4/10) it listed three.
  1. Karma Organic Dry Dog Food - The best, ultra premium organic dog food is Karma Organic Dry Dog Food, as they use over 95% organic ingredients in their dry dog kibble.  it is the best choice if you want to eliminate chemicals, artificial preservatives, unnecessary additives, meat that is not fit for consumption, unhealthy fillers and in some cheap brands - road kill. (eww gross!) Karma Organic Dry Dog Food is the only dog food manufacturing company that can boast the over 95% organic ingredients. It also contains 18 certified organic ingredients and is made with organic whole fruits and vegetables - not dried. And just to add the perfect touch to their all natural organic environmentally friendly philosophy, they use packaging made with 100% recyclable material. Changing your dog from the cheap grocery store brand to this highly organic dog food can be nothing but good, and will eliminate many of the health problems, allergies and illnesses caused by the food containing fillers, pesticides, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, GMO grains and all the nasty artificial preservatives and additives. (If you ever read my thyroid blog, you know I'm all about eliminating preservatives, additives, GMO etc.) 
  2. Newman's Own Organics Pet Food - This pet food has more than 70% of all ingredients being organic. They use human grade all natural chicken and organic brown rice, and it is supplemented with high levels of antioxidants, Ester-C and probiotics. Newman's Own Organics Pet Foods do not use herbicides, pesticides or artificial fertilizers and is not irradiated, and do not contain chemical additives or preservatives. The ingredients are handled according to strict organic standards.  The 30% of ingredients that are non organic are still high grade ingredients that are completely safe, nutritious, all natural, and free of unnecessary fillers or harmful additives.
  3. Natural Planet Organics Dry Dog Food - Natural Planet Organics does not list the percentage of organic to non organic ingredients, but its main ingredients are organic, and the rest are all natural. Natural Planet Organics is certified organic dog food and classified by the company as Ultra Premium. Organic free range chicken is the first ingredient listed.  They also use organic grains, organic vegetables and organic fruits.  Additionally natural antioxidants are added, along with pre and probiotics, and an excellent combination of important supplemental vitamins and minerals for optimum health. Also glucosamine and chondroitin and high levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and taurine, which are essential, are also included.  You will find there are no harmful preservatives, added chemicals or fillers, that are invariably found listed as ingredients of lesser quality brand kibble. The ingredients consist of a list that includes foods that we recognize and eat,and not a long list of chemicals. I always believe if I can't pronounce it, I wouldn't want to eat it. This also goes for my pets, and this organic food meets "my rule."
Other links for recipes/other things you should look at if you are a pet owner:
http://recipes4gourmetdogs.com/category/recipes/

http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/

Well, I'm going to go and make my lil' homegirl some homemade Doggie Biscuits.

My version:
2 C Flour (I used 1 1/2 Cups Flour and 1/2 C Brown Rice Protein Flour)
1TBSP Parsley Flakes
1 Cup Cornmeal
1/3 EVOO
1 Egg
1 Cup Fresh Chicken Broth

Another one i'm working on is 'it's still good' biscuits.
Now, ive never made biscuits for humans or dogs!  But we have some uncooked beef, chicken (from the broth i made today), celery, sweet potatoes (frozen, but haven't used them much) and I tossed it all in a pot to cook down. Once most of the moisture has gone, i'll put in my food processor and roughly chop, then i'll add some Quinoa and make into little logs and bake for a long LONG time on a low-medium temperature in the oven.  Enough to slow bake it but not enough to over cook them.  This is a work in progress.  Oh and I added some worchestireshire sauce for the aroma. lol

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!!! lowski!!!! I just read the other one!!!!!!!!! Sorry Im like so totally computer dumb now cause I am NEVER in front of one now a days. DUUUUUUDE so like all those calander reminders I put finally worked ahahahahahahahah!!! I dont know how to comment on the other one, so like can U call me???? I have a suprise too, like not the normal geisha doing hoodrat shit stuff either =) 415 6851731